Tracking Yona
Discover Your Natural Spirit

About this blog....

This blog is an opportunity to bring Yona to life. It’s an attempt to express just who Yona is; our hopes and fears, successes and failures, our beginning, our vision, our story. This is a glimpse into the Heart of Yona. Join us as we navigate the journey of becoming a place for girls to nurtured, to explore, to be silly, to challenge themselves, to learn, and to become confident young women who value themselves.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Week Twenty One: T-Shirts

Song of the Week: Slice by Five for Fighting

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted any pictures, we've been busy. I'll probably post a couple times this week to catch you up on what we've been doing.

A couple of weeks ago I decided I really wanted Camp Yona T-Shirts. I checked out a few different places online and got quotes for an order. But everywhere I looked I couldn't find what I wanted. Either I couldn't find the right color, or I could only order one size, or I had to order a minimum of 25, or I could only get v-necks, or I could only get crew necks, or I could only get one color, or it was too expensive, or it would take a month. So not being able to find exactly what I was hoping for I set out on adventure to MAKE my very own Camp Yona T-Shirts. It was a cheap and easy way for each of us to get a custom shirt.

Here's how I did it......

The first step is to figure out what you want on the t-shirt. One of the best parts of making your own t-shirts is you can do each one a little different. I did some with the Camp Yona logo and some with a our signature bear. (If you don't already know Yona is Cherokee for bear) So once you've decided what you want on your shirt, you print the design on regular paper.

The next step is to make a stencil using freezer paper and an exacto knife. You simply place the freezer paper over the design and trace it with the knife. (make sure the shiny side of the freezer paper is facing down when you trace the stencil) Now you have a stencil ....

Next you iron the stencil onto a t-shirt. I just found a bunch of old plain t-shirts we had around and used those.....

Once the stencil is ironed on the t-shirt, using whatever color fabric paint you choose, paint over the stencil.....

Let the paint dry completely.....

Peel off the stencil and TADA.....

CAMP YONA T-SHIRTS!!!!

Now those are only three of the ten I stenciled. Most of the t-shirts we had were old white shirts. They weren't very fun, so I decided to dye them. It was super easy. I used dye from a tie dye kit. Put the dye in a bucket. Added some water. Dipped the shirts in the dye....

Let the shirts sit for 6 hours, rinse, and wash .....

YAY COLORFUL T-SHIRTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment