Tracking Yona
Discover Your Natural Spirit

About this blog....

This blog is an opportunity to bring Yona to life. It’s an attempt to express just who Yona is; our hopes and fears, successes and failures, our beginning, our vision, our story. This is a glimpse into the Heart of Yona. Join us as we navigate the journey of becoming a place for girls to nurtured, to explore, to be silly, to challenge themselves, to learn, and to become confident young women who value themselves.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Week Eight: TOMS One Day Without Shoes

Song of the Week: Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson

For those of you who don't know, TOMS is a shoe company on a mission to change the world. With every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need. One for One. On Thursday, April 8th, I joined thousands across the U.S. and the world to go one day without shoes. TOMS challenged us to kick off our shoes for just one day to experience what it's like to not have shoes.

Thursday I .... went for my morning walk, stopped to get gas, went to the eye doctor, grabbed tea with a friend, and went to work .... shoeless. Perhaps the most exciting thing I did all day was participate in UGA's barefoot walk. A hundred plus students joined together to walk a mile path around campus to help raise awareness about the difference a pair of shoes can make in a child's life. As we walked, we talked. And as we talked, we started to ask questions. "Does this really matter? Can one person really make a difference in the world?" As I thought about those questions, I was reminded of Michael Jackson's song "Man in the Mirror":
"I'm starting with the man in the mirror.
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could've been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and make a change"

So maybe what I did last Thursday will have no effect on the world. Maybe it will. All I know for sure is that I can only be responsible for my own actions, and I choose to believe that I can make a difference.

Our hope is for Yona to show girls that they too can make a difference.









No comments:

Post a Comment